‘sasa’ – sustainable accommodation, shelter that is accessible
Students Architects response to the ‘What Shall We Do’ question on Affordable Housing
Opening Date – 10th October, 2020.
SDG6 – Clean Water + Sanitation
SDG7 – Affordable + Clean Energy
SDG10 – Reduced Inequalities
SDG11 – Sustainable Cities + Communities
FGN Affordable Housing Mandates & Initiatives
CBN-FHFL N200bn intervention vehicle
The Nigerian Institute of Architects (Students Affairs + Competitions Committee)
These Sponsors are supporting the Competition with IT Hardware and Cash Prizes
Students from any Tertiary Institution offering Architecture or Architectural Technology abroad and Nigeria.
If participating from outside Nigeria ensure to supply Name of School and Country of Location in provided fields.
• Students of each school wishing to participate MUST ensure to appoint Two Representatives, both of which MUST establish contact with the NIA Chapter Chair of the State in which their school is located.(https://nia.ng/state-chapters-2/)
• These Representatives are to compile a complete electronic list of all those participating from their school and send same to the NIA State Chapter Chair on/before Friday 6th November 2020; this is to enable the Organisers cross-reference every submission
• Interested Students are to setup and manage this process internally
Once registration form is completed and submitted an automatic email will go back to applicant with the UCC
The competition runs for 5weeks from the date of this publication
Submission closes 06:00pm of 15th-NOV-2020
Results communicated 1.5weeks thereafter
Modalities for Honoraria Honouring will be communicated, thereafter.
• Highly demonstrable use of local materials, systems, and solutions.
• Highly demonstrable consideration of cultural contexts and peculiarities.
• Please ensure to clearly identify what (geopolitical) zone of the country your solution is responding to.
• Submissions can be made as a Team. Team submissions must however still be registered under an individual name.
• Teams/Individuals are to make submissions for ALL of the five prototype units listed.
This exercise focuses primarily on the unit independent of infrastructure costs
Maximum unit construction cost of N68,750/sqm
Prototype Flat Semi-detached bungalow Max GFA Comments
Three bed Unit Yes Yes 65.75sqm Suited for an average family
Two bed Unit Yes Yes 55.75sqm Suited for a small family starting out
One bed/Studio Unit Yes No 45.75sqm A start-up self-contained unit
For the flats please ensure to show how they can be efficiently assembled in blocks of no more than G+3 floors
This intervention focuses strictly on the building and not the surrounding civil infrastructure.
You are however at liberty to illustrate how your proposed solution works as a cluster, collective, or community.
• Landscape-A3-PDF document, max-25MB file size, unlimited pages
• Cover Page MUST feature UCC only (names/title blocks/etc will lead to disqualification)
• The UCC can feature on every page if Participant so desires, however only the cover page is necessary
• There must be no name(s) and/or title blocks featured on any page throughout the document
• Entire submission will be judged and curated by the Promoter (the Nigerian Institute of Architects)
• The Scoring will be to a maximum of 50-points
o Project Description and Concept, Understanding of the Problem (5)
o Design Response to the chosen problem – rural or urban (10)
o Systems, Innovation, Technology, Sustainability (15)
o Design Communication and Clarity of Thought (15)
o Promoter’s Overall Perspective (5)
Wining schemes will be featured and displayed during the forthcoming NIA NAGM 2020 in Markurdi, and will be part of an online display on the NIA website for the rest of 2020.
Wining schemes will also form part of Portfolio marketed by the Promoter to FGN for possible adoption and implementation, participant(s) behind any selected submission(s) will be eligible for full engagement through relevant statuary framework*.
*ARCON & NIA provisions
Please note the Schools herein listed are as currently optioned from NIA/ARCON records, any omission is unintended and must be immediately referred to the relevant NIA/ARCON Accreditation Authorities